Open source / Free tools and frameworks (for .NET)


It's been a while now since my last post. In 2009-10, I was out of the country for 7 months on consulting assignments. Got an opportunity to learn exciting technologies and work on tight deadlines, but it drained me quite a bit too! 2010 has been a roller-coaster so far with more emphasis on personal commitments, but now things are in a steady state and I am back to blogging.


As you can see, my blog has undergone few changes - new template, comment moderation, links to websites, etc. One feature I could not figure out is "highlighting of author's comments", I tried the approach given here, but it did not work for me. It would be awesome if you can leave me a tip.


Ok, now let's start off with the post. In my current assignment, I am delighted to work with a couple of seasoned .NET technical architects. One of them (will link him once I get his profile) shared the above mind-map of open source and free tools and frameworks for .NET applications in general. The mind map is created using Mind Meister, again a free tool!


The list a wonderful collation of information and I am impressed by the sheer amount of free tools one can use. Visual Studio too is arguably one of the best IDE's available, but only the Developer and Team System editions really provide all the great features. So I am motivated to understand / use these tools and frameworks.


My current area of interest is IoC and DI containers. Planning to do a detailed post soon. Please leave your valuable comments. Hoping you could still help me with the author-comment feature :o)

Comments

Channs said…
@Darshan - Thanks. Would use the code highlighting feature in my future posts.
For the "author comment highlight" feature, I would need to modify my custom template. The resolutions available are mostly for default templates and don't work for me.
Need to tweak the CSS and HTML tags, hope to resolve it soon...