WPF - Navigation

Premise
Over the past few weeks, I was scrambling to develop a WPF 4.0 application along with a UI designer who specializes in Expression Blend. Though I have worked on WPF 3.5 projects previously, I was really flummoxed while implementing fundamental portions like navigation, modal pop-up’s, “Loading” animation, session management, etc. in WPF. I am not saying that WPF 4.0 is vastly different from WPF 3.5, but I realized that I have never closely worked with XAML and WPF specifics like dependency properties, resource dictionaries, routed events, etc.
Anyway, since I had very limited time, I mostly chose the easiest ways to implement specific areas of the application. In this post, I will describe the simplest method to implement navigation in WPF.


Disclaimer
You might have come across WPF architectural frameworks such as PRISM, MVVM, etc. I have some experience with PRISM, but for my current application, I needed a "very very basic” navigation mechanism. So I would not undermine or explain the pros and cons of other WPF frameworks here.

 
Navigation
WPF – Navigation – Basic


Steps:
1) Create a WPF window called Shell.xaml (or replace MainWindow.xaml).
2) In App.xaml, set the StartupUri property to “Shell.xaml” which is our navigation container.
3) As shown above, you may divide the Shell.xaml into Header, Body and Footer portions.
4) In the Body portion, place a ContentControl which holds the content of various controls.
5) In Shell.xaml.cs, add the below method:

public void LoadContent(UserControl ucShell)
{
ccShell.Content = ucShell;
}


6) In App.xaml.cs, add the below method:

public static void LoadContent(UserControl ucShell)
{
Shell shellWindow = (Shell)App.Current.MainWindow;
shellWindow.LoadContent(ucShell);
}


7) Now, you can create WPF user-controls as needed (say Login.xaml, Home.xaml, etc.)
8) In order to navigate between different user-controls, you need to call App.LoadContent() method and pass in the required user-control instance.


Notes:
#  You would call the App.LoadContent() method inside the constructor of Shell.xaml.cs to load the initial view like Login.xaml.
#  You could retain the user-control reference in Shell.xaml.cs or create new instances as needed.
#  The Header and Footer portions of Shell.xaml could hide or show elements (like Log out button) based on the current view. And you can add more methods to App.xaml.cs to achieve this behavior (like App. IsLogoutVisible)
#  If you do not need the Header and Footer portions, simply skip all the steps and use the App.Current.MainWindow.Content property to set the view from any WPF user-control.


Hope this helps. Based on your feedback, I plan to cover my other WPF learnings like modal pop-up’s, “Loading” animation and session management in future posts.

Comments